If you wonder whether it is possible to buy Bitcoin using your debit card in 2021, the answer is test it’s quite possible. In fact, purchasing bitcoins has become easier comparing to the recent past due to the anti-fraud systems that are used for Bitcoin exchanges. But there are still nuances to be aware of. For instance, operating such security systems requires certain expenses, which then results in a fee for those who buy Bitcoin with a debit card.
In this guide, we will take you through the six best sites where you can buy bitcoin with a debit card. We will go through the pros and cons of each exchange platform where you can buy crypto coins using the debit card payment option. We will also touch upon the topic of the safety of buying coins with a debit card and will list a number of other payment methods.
Introduction: Buying Bitcoins w/ a Debit Card
If you are planning to buy some crypto coins using your debit card as a payment method, you should know that although it’s possible, still, you may face certain difficulties. The main reason is that some exchange platforms may be playing too safe because of possible frauds. And that is why requests for purchasing cryptocurrency via Visa or Mastercard debit card can be turned down.
But there’s good news. Many trading platforms have recently upgraded their security standards and now are able to detect fraud which allowed them to accept debit or credit card bitcoin purchases.
Debit or credit cards?
Before we move on with the main topic of the top six sites to buy bitcoins, we will first have to answer this question: is there a significant difference between a credit card and a debit card in terms of buying bitcoin cash?
Well, normally, a trading platform that will accept credit cards will do just the same if you use your debit card instead. But if you have any doubts, then your best bet is to Google the name of the platform with the addition of the “payment method” keyphrase. Chances are the first search results will take you to the page listing all the available payment options the exchange company offers.
The purchase procedure
As you will see in the examples below, most sites will allow you to buy bitcoin instantly with just a few clicks after you have created your customer account and verified your identity. Generally, the purchase procedure looks like this:
- Enter a website and log in using your account (if you have no account yet – you will have to create it);
- Choose the way you will make payments (bank cards – using a credit or a debit card, bank account, PayPal, etc.);
- Create a Deposit and fund it (or you may be asked to provide a platform with your Bitcoin wallet address);
- Choose the amount of Bitcoin you wish to buy;
- Proceed with the payment.
Things to remember:
- Sometimes orders take time to be processed. That is due to security algorithms.
- Not platforms may have a limited number of countries to buy bitcoins from.
- You may also need to convert your currency into USD or EUR.
- Some platforms have daily purchase limits.
- All the platforms have English interfaces by default, but most of them will let customers change language settings.
Top Six Trading Platforms to Buy Bitcoins w/ a Debit Card
Below is the list of the best online platforms that offer trading services (and sometimes brokerage services, too) so you could buy cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.).
1 – eToro
We will start with the entry-level crypto trading platform eToro. This site will let you buy BTC, LTC, BCH, ETH, and a number of other cryptocurrencies. eToro also offers a number of services, including trading and exchange services, cryptocurrency wallet, and CFD services.
Purchasing Bitcoins through eToro and withdrawing the coins into your wallet will take a certain procedure of several mandatory steps. In that matter, eToro will not suit those who wish to use it as a crypto depository.
- eToro is good for beginners;
- The platform has a first-class support team.
- The platform supports payments from a limited list of countries;
- Long withdrawing procedures may negatively affect the trading experience.
CDF trading is not 100% safe in eToro. Statistics say that the amount of retail investors’ losses reaches 75%. If you are planning to use eToro for CFD trading, mind the high risks of losing your money. CFD is not available for buyers from the United States.
2 – Coinbase
Our next pick is Coinbase – a nice place to buy Bitcoins (and a number of other cryptocurrencies) using your credit card or a debit card. The platform uses its own exchange rate and also charges buyers a 3.99% fee for debit card transactions.
Another thing you should know if you choose to buy Bitcoins from the company is that you will have to prove your identity. Without a government-issued ID, you will not be able to buy crypto coming at Coinbase.
The procedure of purchasing cryptocurrencies at Coinbase looks like this:
- Create an account;
- In the Settings menu, choose “payment methods” and then add a new payment method;
- Add and then confirm your card (Visa, Mastercard, etc.);
- Then go to Buy/Sell section to choose the number of crypto coins to purchase.
- Lower fees;
- Solid reputation;
- User-friendly design.
- Support teams could reply a bit faster.
3 – Coinmama
If you’re looking for an easy way to buy Bitcoin instantly, then your Coinmama will definitely be one of your choices. Coinmama offers crypto-cash purchasing with a premium feel. The purchasing currency is USD. Through Cpoinmama, users can buy Bitcoin, Ethereum, Cardano, and more.
Coinmama has been in the business for almost ten years. And now it is one of the most top-rated exchange platforms with an improved client support service.
How to Buy Bitcoin at Coinmama:
- Log in at Coinmama and undergo a verification process to prove your identity;
- Choose the amount of cryptocurrency you wish to buy;
- Create a crypto wallet and provide the crypto wallet address to Coinmama;
- Insert your card data;
- After that, the exchange will start instantly.
- Cloinmama has a great reputation;
- The company offers one of the fastest turnarounds in the business;
- Devoted client support team.
- Limited countries are available.
4 – Bitpanda
Established in 2014, Bitpanda is the crypto platform that lets everyone from anywhere in the EU (and a number of other countries) buy coins from BTC, BCH, LTC, and others using several options. The daily purchase limits are:
- €2,500 if you buy bitcoins with a credit card;
- €10,000 for payments via other methods.
How to buy Bitcoins through Bitpanda:
- Sing up using your private account;
- Pick a cryptocurrency you wish to purchase;
- Specify your credit card provider (Visa/Mastercard);
- Choose the amount you are willing to purchase;
- Hit the Next step option;
- Proceed with the purchase confirmation.
- Low fees;
- Users get to choose one of the several payment options;
- User-friendly interface.
- Availably to the EU buyers mainly.
Bitstamp is a licensed money services business company that has been established back in 2011. Today, on Bitstamo, you can buy and trade BTC. This platform has an upgraded security service that requires all orders to undergo a 3D Secure procedure. Bitcoin exchanges are available for buyers from the US and the EU. Also, Bitstamp is developing its presence in Asian countries.
Buying BTC on Bitstamp, you can use USD, EUR, and a number of other world currencies such as GBP. However, there are restrictions that will have you convert your currency into USD or EUR to be able to trade with them.
- When making buying bitcoins, you may get charged extra fees by your bank. That may happen if your bank interprets your credit card bank transfer as a cash advance.
Steps to making payments on Bitstamp:
- Sign up to the website;
- Create a deposit;
- As a payment option, choose “Credit card” (this option will also let you use your debit card, as well);
- Transfer money from your credit card to the Deposit;
- After that, proceed with purchasing bitcoins by clicking the Buy/Sell option;
- Choose “Buy BTC”
- Specify the amount of BTC you want to buy and hit the “Buy BTC” button.
- One of the most reputable exchange platforms;
- Has a good customer support service;
- The verification process may take some time;
- The website design is not too user-friendly.
6 – CEX.io
Last but not least is the CEX.io exchange platform which by many is considered the best place to buy Bitcoin instantly. CEX.io boats relatively high purchasing limits and lower fees. On CEX.io, you can buy BTC using your Visa/Mastercard debit card. CEX.io service traditionally works with USD and EUR, but it also supports GBP and RUB.
How to Buy Bitcoin on CEX.io:
- Sing up to the website;
- Go to the Deposit option (where you will need to specify which world currency you are using);
- To add money to your account, use your debit card;
- For an easy exchange (but with a higher fee), use the Buy/Sell option;
- For more complex (but cheaper) exchanges, use the Trade option and choose BTC/USD (or any other supported currency).
Watch the step-by-step video instruction for more details on how to buy through CEX.io:
- Solid reputation;
- High purchasing limits;
- Allows users to buy bitcoins in just a few clicks.
- Available only in a limited number of countries;
- The exchange rate is higher than the average.
Is Using a Debit Card to Buy Bitcoin Safe?
This is one of the most frequent questions that experts have to answer time and time again. So is it safe to use your debit card or credit сard to buy bitcoin? The answer is yes, it is. Technically, when you want to buy bitcoin with a debit card, it’s pretty much like buying other products online. Although there are still two main recommendations, we should bring up.
The first one is not to keep the Bitcoins you’ve bought on the exchange platform. The best way to preserve your BTC is to transfer them to your Bitcoin wallet.
The second recommendation is to use a bank transfer if there is an option. Why? Because when paying with credit or debit cards, the overall price will get quite high because of fees. So for a large amount of BTC (or another cryptocurrency), we would recommend using a bank transfer if the platform supports this option. We encourage you to do your own research on how to use your bank account to buy bitcoin – this information may be of great use to you so you could buy large amounts of crypto at a lower price.
Other payment options
Since we’ve touched upon the topic of alternative payment options to buy bitcoin, it will be a good idea to finish this guide with a quick recap of what other methods you can use to buy cryptocurrency since paying with a credit card is not the only way, as you may guess.
So if you want to consider more options of how you can buy bitcoin, here some of the most popular:
- Apple Pay;
- Google Pay;
Where can I buy Bitcoin with my debit card?
There is a number of websites that will allow users to buy bitcoins with a debit card (or a credit card). Among the tops exchanging platforms are:
All of these platforms use USD primarily. Sometimes you can buy crypto with EUR and other currencies like GBP or RUB.
Can you buy Bitcoin instantly?
Some platforms have quite a user-friendly interface and simple purchasing procedures that will allow users to buy cryptocurrency in just a few clicks. Technically, the whole procedure is quite the same as buying other products online.
What app can I use to buy Bitcoin with my debit card?
One of the best and most popular apps to send and receive money from bank cards is Cash App. You can use this application to pay for bitcoins with your credit card or debit card.
Where can I buy Bitcoin with a debit card without verification?
There are certain platforms that will allow you to buy bitcoins without having to verify your identity. Among those platforms are LocalBitcoins, BitQuick, Wall of Coins, Bitit. gift. However, some platforms might require minimal verification, for instance, via SMS.